The journey of becoming a self-taught metalsmith can be a daunting task. With countless resources available on different techniques, methods, tools, and materials, it's easy to feel overwhelmed and unsure of where to begin.
I started my journey by exploring the vast world of YouTube, typing in basic search terms such as "metalsmithing" and "silversmithing". After watching numerous videos, I began to familiarize myself with common terminology and was then able to perform more advanced searches.
When metalsmithing there are many different methods and techniques you can use to achieve the same results. In my opinion, it's best to choose your resources carefully and master each technique thoroughly before seeking out alternative methods. Over time, you'll find the combination of techniques that work best for your unique style of smithing. To help get you started, I've compiled a list of some recommended resources that were useful to me in my journey.
- Estona Metalsmithing & Jewelry Making Tutorials
- Lucy Walker Jewellery
- Leslie Kail Villarreal
- Nancy Hamilton
- Complete Metalsmith: Professional Edition
- Author: Tim McCreight
- Silver Jewellery Making: A Complete Step-By-Step Course
- Author: Machi de Waard
- Soldering Made Simple: Easy Techniques for the kitchen-table jeweler
- Author: Joe Silvera
- Professional Jewelry Making: A Contemporary Guide to Tradition Jewelry Techniques
- Author: Alan Revere
- Eco Jewelry Handbook: A Practical Guide for a Healthy, Safe and Sustainable Studio
- Author: Christine Dhein
- Thrive by Design
- Business and marketing ideas for the jewelry industry
- Host: Tracy Mathews